It’s a question we get asked all too often, and it comes in many different shapes and sizes. “How can I help?” “Let me know what you need.” “I would like to get involved!” “I’ve got some time now and want to volunteer my time.” “What would be the best way for me to make a difference?” “What can I do?” “I’ve got x y & z skills, and I’d like to support One Girl’s work!” Firstly? This is awesome. We know there are so many passionate people out there who maybe aren’t getting that ‘fire in the belly’ feeling at their day job, or their studies, and want to find a way to be part of something meaningful, to use their skills and talents for good. Or maybe they know how lucky they really are and want to give back to the world. Or perhaps they need an outlet for their creativity, passion and all-round awesomeness? There’s plenty you can do, and we’d love you to join our tribe! There are two main ingredients for the awesome pie that we like to call “Making One Girl epic”. And they are awareness and money. Without either of those - without our network expanding, without more people hearing about us, and without funding to make our projects happen - we can’t grow or be effective. We’re on the lookout for people who can help us raise both awareness and funds to help make One Girl as epic as it can be. I know what you’re thinking..”awareness raising” and “fundraising” sounds like your typical charity speak, boooringgg! But we’re not your typical charity, so we don’t do typical anything. So how can you get involved in a totally-awesome-and-not-at-all-boring-or-typical way?
1. Turn your idea into reality. Dream big and make it happen.Get creative. What would you absolutely love to do? What would be something you’d jump out of bed to do? How can that relate to expanding One Girl? Lately I’ve been learning about leadership and what that is, and we were invited to consider that leadership is an act of following. It’s the act of following your heart and doing what makes your heart sing, because that’s what the world needs most. Leaders are people who love life, love making a difference and whose hearts are glowing - and that’s what we aim to nurture every day at One Girl. What does that mean for you? Is it creating the business of your dreams where a percentage of the profits are donated to impact the world? Is it bringing all of the people in your life together over dinner-in-a-dress? Is it using your creativity - in dance, performance, art, writing - to draw attention to an issue you care deeply about? Whatever it is, we invite you to take that idea and turn it into a reality. No idea is too big (or too small). No idea is too ambitious. Dream big and we’ll dream with you! More than that, no matter what you come up with, we will do our absolute best to give you whatever resources you need to do that, and fulfil your dreams.
2. Become a One Girl AmbassadorOur Ambassadors are our heroes. They’re not just our supporters, they’re our tribe leaders. They take One Girl and they run with it - spreading the word, fanning the flame, inspiring the heck out of their communities and asking people to join our movement. We’re looking for the go-getters, the fireballs, the hustlers and the trailblazers. We need leaders. We need people who will be proactive about expanding One Girl’s reach in Australia and overseas - whether that’s with their business, university, school or yoga class. Our Ambassadors are people who will create things to do, and go out and do them. And they are bloody good at it, too. If you want to build and lead a movement that recognises that every girl, no matter where she’s born, has the right to an education, then become a One Girl Ambassador.
“The One Girl community has put me in touch with more passionate, inspirational, like-minded people than I’ve ever met before. I have achieved more personal goals through being an ambassador than through any other volunteer position. I feel proud to be a part of a movement so successful at what it does.“
- Julia Mylne, One Girl Ambassador
3. Join our tribe, become a Business CrusaderAre you a business owner or entrepreneur? Are you looking for a way to have your business mean more than just profits; are you looking for an opportunity to give back? You're someone who sees a world where every girl has the right to an education, and you want your business to help make this happen. You, my friend, are a One Girl Business Crusader. Business Crusaders are incredible individuals and enterprises who use their powers for good and donate a portion of their profits every month to fund our projects. We already have a handful of amazing businesses on our side, but there’s always room for more! We’ll be profiling them on our website soon so you’ll be able to meet the incredible organisations who contribute to our programs. If you want your business to have a social impact, then consider being a One Girl Business Crusader.
4. VolunteerThey say “it takes a village”, and that’s definitely true for us. There’s a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes to keep One Girl running, and we’re looking for people with the commitment, passion, and of course the mad skills to take us to the next level. You can check out the positions we have running and apply here.
No matter which way you choose to get involved, without you, we don’t exist.You matter. You changes lives. You make a difference. Every ‘like’, every tweet, every time you mention us in a conversation, every time you rock a school dress, every time you stand up for every girls’ right to an education - every thing you do makes a difference. If you want to chat about ways that you could change the world, flick me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. I love nothing more than supporting you to grow your ideas and see them come to life. Over to you!